ELECTIVE OFFICE: Elected to the House of Representatives in Nov. 2012; Appointed to the Senate in June 2013 and elected to the Senate in 2014. Re-elected to the Senate in 2016.
LEADERSHIP: House of Representatives Assistant Floor Leader (Jan. 2013 – June 2013)
COMMITTEES: Ranking Member of the Senate Human Services and Corrections Committee, member of the Transportation Committee and member of the Jt. Committee on Veteran and Military Affairs
PERSONAL: Raised by a single mom who taught kindergarten, Steve has lived in the district for more than 40 years. Steve and his wife, Laurie, a Tacoma Community College adjunct instructor, have two sons serving in the United States Army.
EDUCATION: Attended the University of Washington and Seattle University School of Law.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE: As an attorney for more than 27 years, Steve has helped small business owners, nonprofits and individuals solve their legal problems. He has focused his trial practice on Civil Rights, Employment and Business.
- Successfully defended 8,000 teachers’ First Amendment rights in the United States Supreme Court.
- Successfully defended the First Amendment rights of an international, faith-based humanitarian nonprofit.
- Successfully defended the rights of small business owners to decide what products to stock on their shelves without government interference.
- Small business owner of a law firm that provides living wage jobs to 25 people;
- Serves as Chairman of the Board of Sacred Road, a charitable organization serving the Yakama Native Americans;
- Volunteers at a legal clinic serving the homeless and is a board member of the Rescue Mission in Pierce County;
- Member of the Standing Judicial Commission of the Presbyterian Church in American and of the Session of Faith Presbyterian Church;
- Worked as a public defender helping the poor who could not afford an attorney;
- Previously served on a LEOFF Plan I board.
- Washington Autism Alliance and Advocacy 2016 Legislative Champion
- 2016 Legislator of the Year, The Governor’s Veteran Affairs Advisory Committee
- 2016 Friend of Government Accountability Award from the Foundation for Government Accountability
- Washington Association of Cops, Police Chiefs, and Sheriffs, Legislator of the Year 2015
- Pierce County Coalition for the Developmental Disabilities 2015 “Difference You Make in the World” Award
- Washington Digital Public Schools Alliance Legislator of the Year 2014
- Fraternal Order of Police 2014 Legislator of the Year
- Washington Farm Bureau Certificate for Exemplary Voting Record 2014
- Legislator of the Week, Washington Housing Alliance, April 2013
- Washington Farm Bureau Certificate for Exemplary Voting Record 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Super Lawer, Washington Law & Politics
- Rated “Preeminent” for Ethical Standards and Legal Ability